OCRdesktop 3.0 Released

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jan 12 21:12:52 UTC 2022

Howdy List,

sorry for cross posting, but I thought you might be interested into that.
I just released OCRdesktop 3.0 with some very nice stuff :).
For those who don't know about OCRdesktop:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Ocrdesktop

1. i removed unmaintained "tesserwrap" bindings and use "pytesseract"
now. This is very good maintained and is able to use Tesseract 4.1.x and
Tesseract 5.0. Last didnt work with tesserwrap anymore cause by broken API.
2. Removed all deprecation warnings, Modernize the code, use spaces
instead of Tab and all kind of cleanup goodness.
3. i added an very nice new feature to analyze the color of an given
Text and its background. So you can figure what text is highlighted, has
the focus and all kind of useful stuff. its off by default and could be
used by "-O" flag as parameter. For this we need some new dependency
webcolor and scipy.

See the full story here:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/ocr-desktop-60895292
https://www.patreon.com/posts/color-analyzing-60988555

Where to get:

https://github.com/chrys87/ocrdesktop/releases/tag/v3.0

Depencys:
- python3
- tesseract
- tesseract-lang-<yourLanguageCode>
- python3-pillow
- python-atspi
- python-pytesseract
- libwnck3
- GTK3
Optional Depencys
- python-scipy (for color detection)
- python-webcolors (for color detection)

I hope you have as much fun while using it as i had while working on it :).
have a good day and stay healthy in those crazy times.

cheers chrys