Slint install problem

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Jan 28 09:22:22 UTC 2022

Hi Rob

Didier, Slint maintainer here.

A few questions below:
1. Did you check the integrity of the ISO after having downloaded it?
For this you need to download both the ISO and the checksum:
wget https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/iso/slint64-14.2.1.4.iso
wget
https://slackware.uk/slint/x86_64/slint-14.2.1/iso/slint64-14.2.1.4.iso.sha256/iso/slint64-14.2.1.4.iso.sha256
Then this command:
sha256sum slint64-14.2.1.4.iso.sha256
should give this output:
OK
else, redo the downwloads.
2. Which vitrualization software are you using?
wrt sound and speech, the best is by far Qemu, which is available for MacOS:
https://www.qemu.org/download/#macos
However I can't test, as I do not own a Mac.
3. When asked if you wanted to have speech during installation, did you press
"S" as suggested? Else you will have no speech going further.

Other that that, two tips if you loose speech during installation
 (although this should not happen):
a. press the key PrintScreen which toggles espeakup on/off
b. go to another console pressing Alt+F2, the press Enter to activate it, then type:
/etc/rc.d/rc.espeakup restart
then go back to the installer pressing Alt+F1

All this being said you will be way better off installing on a removable drive
than in a VM. This can be an USB connected SSD, hard disk, or even an USB stick,
possibly enclosing an SD card, or an SD card directly connected to the main
board (bur caveat; not all firmware allow to boot from a SD card if not in an
USB enclosure). All these solutions allow dual booting with your existing
system, which will stay untouched.

Cheers,
Didier