wich is better mailing list or usenet newsgroup

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 16:01:52 UTC 2022

I can't speak to the whole newsgroup thing myself, as I never figured
out how exactly it was supposed to work. I do understand email and the
web however, so these are my go-to resources when looking for
information of any kind. The email list is probably the best option, as
I just subscribe to the lists I want, and I see everything posted to the
list. If I don't want to read a thread, i.e. if it's not a topic of
interest to me, my email program allows me to delete the whole thread
from my mailbox at the press of a single key, leaving everyone else's
copies untouched. Those lists that store archives are especially good,
since just like a web forum, I have the option of searching through
that I need to find again. Usually a simple Searx will give me the
answer from the archive, so I don't even have to try to find the archive
website for each list. As I understand it, newsgroups are not archived
on the web, and from what I could understand of their functionality,
seem to be pretty much walled off from the rest of the internet, making
usenet rather useless to me personally, unless I'm totally wrong about
how it works.

~Kyle