Google is nuking simple username/password sign ins?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 17:06:45 UTC 2022

Well, it's time to stop gmail working on the phone and to also disable it.

These days I mod my phone to disable Google as completely as possible. I
no longer use Gmail on the phone, and I no longer even use Google Play
Services. I recently broke a phone that was compatible with LineageOS
for MicroG, and intentionally purchased the same make and model so that
I wouldn't even have to start with a Google account on the new phone.
It's time to say good-bye to big tech, and this is my start in that
direction. I do keep Gmail in Thunderbird for now, because it works
there still, and some stuff still comes to that email, but I'm
transitioning to self-hosted open source stuff as completely as
possible, which it seems can be faster and more complete than I
initially thought.

~Kyle