Google is nuking simple username/password sign ins?

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 18:18:11 UTC 2022

Sure, but redacted my gmail from it

The email is here with my gmail redacted...this is what Google sent me.
Seems like they have a very, very broad idea of what 'less secure'
means. I like checking my email in a terminal thanks...

Google
On 30 May, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure
sign-in technology
     <gmail  address redacted>
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use
of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google
Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to
sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies,
like OAuth 2.0. Learn moreWhat do you need to do?

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to
your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other
email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
Learn more
You received this email to let you know about important changes to your
Google Account and services.
© 2022 Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA

That's the email I got. I put the dashes in to mark the start of it. I
did a quick search and found Mutt apparently has a way to handle
Oauth2.0 stuff but it's a pain to set up, annoyingly and broke majorly
when I tried it