Starting lightdm in text mode

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 11:31:17 UTC 2022

Hello,

I use Debian in command mode. Until about a year ago, when I booted  up, lightdm would start in text mode and ask for user and password. It would then start Mate with Orca. I could use the GUI by pressing Alt+F7. Then it suddenly started setting the screen to not-text mode.
To be able to use the machine in my  primary uses I had to disable lightdm. This meant that I couldn't use Mate. I just switched to Windows for a GUI. How can I configure lightdm to not put the screen in grap;hics mode and to again ask for username and password in text mode where brltty can handle them. Then start the GUI in tty7.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer