Crypted LVM and beep tones

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Sat Mar 12 10:10:24 UTC 2022

Hi Nick and All,

In our case (initial RAM disk being in an encrypted partition, which is the root
partition of the system to start, not a separate /boot partition) we need GRUB
to first unlock the main device to be able to load the kernel then the initial
RAM disk, which it does requesting the passphrase before displaying the boot
menu.

It would indeed be possible to have the passphrase requested by an initial RAM
disk, but this initial RAM disk should in that case be first loaded from a non
encrypted device, like for instance an USB stick: this is not something set up
by default in Slint but a power user could implement that.

Bundle this (speaking) initial RAM disk with the kernel in an EFI stub is left
to the reader as an exercise ;)

Cheers

Didier
--