I'm in crisis, help!!!

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Mon May 23 12:47:28 UTC 2022

I just tried Fedora Workstation 36, and found that the installer in fact
is not speaking. However, it does speak using the Fedora-MATE-Compiz
spin. I know I just saw an update to the anaconda stuff I believe about
2 or 3 days ago that may have fixed it for everyone, but I am certain
that the installer is talking on the MATE spin I downloaded about 15
minutes ago. Your biggest issue will be a pitch problem with
speech-dispatcher's defaults that make things sound really high at
times. But this is fixed, at least in Orca with Fedora-MATE-Compiz 36,
by changing the speech synthesizer in the voice tab from "default speech
synthesizer" to espeak-ng. Also, your alt+super+s keyboard shortcut to
turn on Orca is disabled by default in MATE, so you will want to press
alt+f2 and enter orca in the run window. Hope this helps.

~Kyle