Javascript for text mode (fwd)

Linux for blind general discussion blinux-list at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 14:21:28 UTC 2022

     It seems to me that to have anything that approaches what ORCA or a
graphical screenreader can do with Firefox, you would need an interface
between Speakup and the Document Objec Model in the text browser.  For
example in ORCA you can use alt-shift-arow keys to navigate the
structure of a table.  Speakup only knows what is on the screen, it has
no idea about what is a table and what isn't.  This idea of Javascript
in a text browser is possible, but to approach the capabilities of what
you can do with graphical screenreaders is a very heavy lift!  It is
likely not worth the effort because graphical desktops can run on fairly
old hardware.