[Cluster-devel] clulog

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Mon May 7 18:10:12 UTC 2007

[10:56:21] <fabbione> lon: you around?
----- [11:00] -----
[11:01:39] <fabbione> ok no biggies.. i need to run to a meeting now
[11:02:17] <fabbione> idea: make clulog a shared standalone library,
remove a bunch of custom log.h/.c like the one in ccs
                      and make them use clulog lib
[11:02:33] <fabbione> i have notice that most of them do the exact same
thing with different name
[11:02:37] <fabbione> == code reduction
[11:02:50] <fabbione> more clean and elegant than reimplement * each
time
[11:03:03] <fabbione> just think about it.. we can talk next time we are
both online
[11:03:08] * fabbione takes off

Really - what we need is a better logging system.  clulog is just a
wrapper around syslog.  Some of the features we really need are:

 * ring-buffer style (w/ a fixed max size)
   * Remove oldest / lowest-prio log messages if we run out of
     room
 * option of guaranteed non-blocking logging

clulog could be expanded and library-ified - esp. now that we have a
better / single build system.

What I'd do is:

  * clulog_init(const char *facility, int mode, int severity)
	  MODE_SIMPLE   - what we have now.
      MODE_NONBLOCK - simple nonblocking syslog() calls.  e.g. do what
		syslog() does, but open the log device O_NONBLOCK; lossy.
      MODE_RINGBUF  - Non-blocking; fixed maximum memory footprint.
        Clears lowest-prio / oldest log messages first if we fill up.

etc... etc...  I'll do more on this later.

-- Lon