[Container-tools] Some Minutes from Tool Component Call Apr 29

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 13:48:36 UTC 2015

Some minutes from Tool Component Cabal call:

Arrived 10 mn late, Carl suggested I take some minutes.
Rough, partial, but stored

Question about scope for atomic_app run
  - is that run, install, deploy, semantic is unclear
Christoph think that focuse should move away from Nulecule to
a wider scope, some of the surounding tools and athe associated
cdk, and the associated workflow.
Carl want something core working and then we can bring on
more people to build around and help on the tooling and
go deeper on semantic.

Carl: what do we need to achieve:
  - progressive Nulecule, and assocated tools and code
  - creating the community pipeline (KB) to get apps
  - team doing conversions to convert exising external projects (JMW)
  - environment in the community to have all pieces in CI and tools
    -> we need next iteration of that environment, with Atomic
       then we update the CDK with that
  - productize

Christoph agrees, asked SA recently about deploying Atomic
CDK should not be specific to ISV.
Carl want the current CDK to extend, and have automatic building
of images, and want to extend this to all Red Hat customers.
Daniel Riek think we need a simpler installer, a wrapper for
Windows and OS-X users, a one-click thing allowing them to
deploy very very easilly
   -> Carl asks for a Card on it => Action Daniel Riek

Aarong really need todo hiw Pulp work and the Atomic multi host
environment in one click, right now it barely work ... by hand.
Daniel Think Vagrant is fine or community consumption.
Aaron think the UX can be clearly improved.

Lala will focuse on that environment part.
Carl think the setting up tools need to go in Nulecule.
Riek think that Satellite using Docker API is a bad idea
but what APIs to use, right now all we have is executing
the tools, no API available and they want one
  - could create another API
  - extend/wrap around docker
  - how to use Kubernetes to provide that API
  - create an Atomic tool library calling the tools
 => Riek need to make or refresh the card about this

Christoph: can we just have a REST API
Riek: needs another daemon, rather extend the existing one to provide those
Carl: at this point it's not highest priority, and once
   we have a better set of tools, then we can better
DV suggest to get more discussion with this and see if we can get
  traction outside of Red Hat, possibly Kubernete

Riek: it's really about the label being accepted widely
Carl: what timeframe do we need an answer on this ?
Riek: 3 months, will come out of the Google discussion

JMW: think we need that to go to appfinfra
Riek, Carl: we need to go though the public list discussion
   => Carl to work on getting the public list open

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/