[Container-tools] Application Entity Cockpit UI

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 14:36:27 UTC 2015

On 28.04.2015 17:24, Christoph Görn wrote:
> Hey Stef,
>  great!! to see adoption!

Thanks for the feedback :)

>  I have browsed thru your feature page shortly and got a few comments
>
>  "Phillip: Opens the Kubernetes dashboard" So to translate this to
> Nulecules land: you are assuming that the Atomicapp Phillip is going
> to deploy is enabled/is having a kubernetes provider (or atomichost as
> we sometimes call it) and therefore should be deployed via kubernetes
> dashboard.

Yes, I think Kubernetes only is a good place to start initially. And
then we can figure out how to integrate this into other parts of Cockpit
as well if it works out.

>  "We should pull the image from docker via the docker REST API, so we
> can provide intelligent data. " From Atomicapp point of view the
> pollper.io-atomicapp will download all that is required to deploy the
> app. So if you 'atomic install poppler.io-atomicapp' there should be
> no need to download anything separately to deploy the app. Not saying
> that you may not want to download that image if cockpit is going to do
> something with in.

Interesting, good to know. I guess I misunderstood how this works. I
thought it was delivered as a container containing the logic of how to
deploy the remainder of the application. Do we have a real world example
to play with?

I tried poking around in the examples directory but couldn't get it
working. Do you have step by step commands that would let me run an example?

If we can get an answer file immediately, without pulling anything, then
Cockpit wouldn't need to do any pulling ... and just let the atomicapp
tool deploy things and take it's time doing so.

However if there is an intermediate pulling step (ie: choose app, pull
image, figure out answers) then the UI would need to be aware of that
step, and display progress and state information to the user during that
pull step.

Stef