[Container-tools] Eclipse and ADB

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Fri Dec 18 10:55:22 UTC 2015

On 17 Dec 2015, at 17:32, Neependra Khare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am engaged with a PoC, where a company is trying to
> embrace DevOps from traditional IT.
>
> They have chalked out initial plan and at first stage we are enabling
> with container based dev environment for developers. All of
> the developers are on Windows and they do development using
> Eclipse. They would be running a VM with Project Atomic/CentOS
> and build containers on them so that developers can do initial
> QA on their on. Once that is done they would follow CI/CD pipeline.
>
> In the discussion one question came. If Eclipse can directly connect
> to the VM running containers then why we would need ADB.

You don't. The benefit ADB gives you (besides ease-of-use)
is that it runs on Red Hat supported OS and docker variant.

If they already have that setup in their own vagrant/docker based setup
then not a big difference.

> I was
> suggesting to use ADB because using that we can run K8s inside
> the VM, as in production easily and do initial QA. Can someone
> mention more benefits for using ADB instead of just Eclipse plugin
> for Docker.

Eclipse Plugin for Docker can be used with any Docker container not just ADB
thus not sure why you would call that out as the advantage of ADB.

> Also is there any workflow for submitting a job on K8s from Eclipse ?

I don't understand what "submitting a job on K8s" would mean, but
we have OpenShift tooling support.

/max

> Thanks.
>
> --