[Container-tools] using openshift origin v3 to back centos build pipeline

Václav Pavlín vpavlin at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 08:18:54 UTC 2015

On 07/20/2015 03:42 PM, Aaron Weitekamp wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at redhat.com
> <mailto:kbsingh at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 20/07/15 10:53, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
>
>     > Quoting Aaron Weitekamp (2015-07-17 21:23:53)
>
>     >> Looking deeper into the capabilities of openshift origin[1] have we
>
>     >> considered this as the core tech for pushing image content
>     through the
>
>     >> pipeline? I don't think I'm on the right mailing lists for this
>     discussion.
>
>     >> I'm just curious on the direction here.
>
>     >>

>     >> [1] https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/builds.html
>
>     >>

>     > We have discussed this (using fullblown osbs [1][2] for pipeline).
>
>     >

>     > Not sure what's the current architecture for pipeline atm.
>
>     >

>     > [1] https://github.com/projectatomic/osbs-client
>
>     > [2]
>     https://github.com/projectatomic/osbs-client/blob/master/docs/osbs_instance_setup.md
>
>     >

>     does'nt OSOv3 also run OSBS under the hood ?
>

>     we looked at OSBS and the layers that get added on dont really scale
>
>     very well to multiple, on demand sort of installations. For that,
>     we're
>
>     just using atomicapp-builder and dock ( now atomic-reactor ).
>

> ​Thanks for the info. I'm trying to sync what we're building vs. what
> tools ​end-users might use to build out a CI/CD workflow. OpenShift
> makes a lot of sense and I would assume scaling issues will be
> resolved in upcoming releases.
It's not about OSv3 scalability (i.e. about building thousands of
images, that's something OpenShift should be able to handle). It's about
being able to quickly reproduce the build environment as CentOS uses
baremetal machines and needs to be able to quickly provision them with
parts of pipeline that need to run atm. From our discussions with KB, I
understood that we want to start with fresh empty environment, deploy
builder, pull existing deps, build what is missing, run some sanity
tests, inspect the result, push it and tear down the deployment so that
we can start fresh again.

Thus the scalability here means - how much time does it take to deploy
the builder? How hard it is to maintain the deployment configuration?

Vašek

>     regards,
>

>     --
>
>     Karanbir Singh, The CentOS Project, London, UK
>
>     RH Ext. 8274455 | DID: 0044 207 009 4455

Architect - Senior Software Engineer
Developer Experience
Brno, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 739 666 824