[Container-tools] Nulecule/atomicapp validation and next step ideas

Václav Pavlín vpavlin at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 08:24:48 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 08:07 AM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
> I met with a production user of docker recently and over coffee I had
> a chance to talk to them about Nulecule.  They are running Debian and
> using Marathon (a Mesos framework) for orchestration.
>
> For the most part they validated our direction, granted it is a sample
> size of 1.
>
> Here are some specifics:
>
> Things that are interesting:
>  - Today they have the configuration files for Mesos-Marathon stored
> and deployed separately from the images that make up the application.
> Being able to bundle up this information would be a big win.
We don't bundle nulecule files and artifacts with the images that are
run by orchestrator currently, but it's definitely possible.

>  - If the DevAssistant plugin can help drive best practices in
> application development/framework usage that would be a huge win.
>
>  - Today there is a parameterization problem in Mesos-Marathon.
> Mesos-Marathon cannot launch 5 instances of the same container that
> vary only by a parm, say an ID, from the same configuration file.  To
> do this you have to write 5 different configuration files, each with
> the ID hardcoded.  This obviously creates a change management concern.
> Nulecule looks like it could solve this issue, especially is some of
> the answers can be provided via an API or otherwise programatically.
Yes, this is exactly the use case for Nulecule:)

>  - There is a kubernetes framework on top of Mesos that should just
> work. (However, see below)
>
> Things that are concerns:
>  - How tied is Nulecule to Kubernetes?  Can it support concepts
> outside of this thought process. [I said I didn't know of any reason
> it couldn't.] Specifically, in Mesos-Marathon:
There is nothing kubernetes-specific in Nulecule

>    - There is one json configruation file that drives orchestration,
> container linking (containers are linked via the cluster network, not
> docker link private networks), and networking.
>
>    - There is no tieing containers that are part of the same app to
> the same host.  This is not guaranteed or enforcable. Open question:
> Does a pod tie things to same host? [He wasn't sure, I didn't think so.]
Yes, that's how pods work - all the pod content is on a single host. How
does Marathon work? Does it have a single point of contact (like
Kubernetes Master)? If yes, that's the only part of infra that Atomic
App needs to talk to and we don't care where the specific containers are
started.

>    - Container connections are always done via service discovery.
> There are two kinds of service discovery, a light-weight one built
> into Marathon and etcd.
>
>  - They are a debian shop today.  While switching to a RHEL-family
> architecture is not necessarily a show stopper, it is concerning that
> the only application available to use the spec's reference output,
> atomic, has no instructions or packaging for other distributions.
> Ditto for atomicapp as building successfully on other distros.
With current approach, they don't need atomic or Atomic App installed on
the host - they can just pull the image projectatomic/atomicapp image
and then run what's stored in labels INSTALL and RUN.

>  - While there is a kubernetes framework on top of Mesos, they chose
> Marathon because it is simpler and not supporting this is a show stopper.
Would they consider writing the provider if we tell them how to do it?:)

> All in all I think this is a good showing and starts to give some on
> the ground validation to the effort.
>
> Some possible outcomes that came to mind are:
>   - Create a parameterized example that shows the same app launched
> with 5 different minor variable changes.
>
>   - Test atomicapp/atomic with Mesos-Kubernetes
>
>   - Write a Mesos-Marathon provider
>
>   - Verify that atomic/atomicapp can run on an alternative distribution
>
>   - (Quasi-related) Verify that atomic can run on an alternative
> distribution
>
> To support us moving forward, I plan to begin working on making sure
> atomic and the atomicapp/Nulecule examples run without issue on
> Debian.  If anyone wants to help, reach out to me please.
>
> regards,
>
> bex
Can you share who that was and if they care to join the mailing list?

Cheers,
Vašek

--

Lead Infrastructure Engineer