[Container-tools] Please read before touching ANY schema files

Tomas Radej tradej at redhat.com
Tue May 12 09:38:15 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone.

Forgive me for being patronising and/or passive aggressive, but please
*always* read the manual before touching any of the schema files [1].
The IETF JSON Schema Internet Draft 4 (which we are using) is a
well-defined standard for writing JSON schema specification, but it
doesn't always work as you may expect. For those reasons, please always
refer to [2] (the standard) or [3] (a nice reference book) before you
make any changes to the schema files, or *especially* if you're about to
merge a pull request that does.

I am prompted to write this e-mail after several occurrences of people
writing or modifying the files without checking the standard first. On a
couple of occasions already, this meant that my effort went to waste
because I fixed it only to see it rewritten by someone else in a manner
incompatible with the standard again.

If you find the documentation daunting or confusing, just contact me,
I'll be glad to help. I'll be working with the relevant people now on
fixing what's currently broken in the spec.

Thank you, Tomas

[1] https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule/tree/master/spec
[2] http://json-schema.org/latest/json-schema-validation.html
[3]