[Container-tools] CentOS pipeline index

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 16 15:13:05 UTC 2015

On 16 May 2015 at 08:35, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at redhat.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> https://github.com/kbsingh/cccp-index is now online,

That particular choice of acronym isn't going to have good
associations for a lot of people that were directly affected by the
Soviet regime (plenty of whom are still alive today). Perhaps we could
tweak the name to produce an acronym without quite so much history to
it, such as the CentOS Community Pipeline for Containers? (aka the
CentOS CPC)

(That also leaves the door open to the possible introduction of other
community pipelines producing other artifacts in the future)

> and I am looking
> for feedback before we start finalising things.

Aside from the acronym, the main thing that stuck out at me is the use
of polling to pick up changes: it would be a lot nicer if there was a
web hook that could be POST'ed to indicate that a build was ready. If
that's a "later" thing, it would be good to state that explicitly in
the README.

It also occurs to me that from a *project management* perspective, I
wonder if it's worth taking a look at an open source service like
ReadTheDocs and seeing if there's an opportunity to collaborate with
them on factoring out the "configure a developer tooling web service
to integrate with a version control hosting service" parts into a
common framework that projects like RTFD and CCPC could use as a
basis, rather than every developer tooling service having to come up
with its own preoject definition and version control hosting
integration code.

Cheers,
Nick.