[Container-tools] CentOS pipeline index

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:37:32 UTC 2015

On 17 May 2015 at 02:13, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/16/2015 04:13 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 16 May 2015 at 08:35, Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> https://github.com/kbsingh/cccp-index is now online,
>>
>> That particular choice of acronym isn't going to have good
>> associations for a lot of people that were directly affected by
>> the Soviet regime (plenty of whom are still alive today). Perhaps
>> we could tweak the name to produce an acronym without quite so much
>> history to it, such as the CentOS Community Pipeline for
>> Containers? (aka the CentOS CPC)
>
> I did actually engage with a certain number of pople who might have
> had this mindset, and none did. But its certainly something to think
> about.

Yeah, my perspective is mainly "CCCP carries that risk, CCPC doesn't,
so perhaps we should go with the latter if there's no specific reason
for preferring the former".

>> It also occurs to me that from a *project management* perspective,
>> I wonder if it's worth taking a look at an open source service
>> like ReadTheDocs and seeing if there's an opportunity to
>> collaborate with them on factoring out the "configure a developer
>> tooling web service to integrate with a version control hosting
>> service" parts into a common framework that projects like RTFD and
>> CCPC could use as a basis, rather than every developer tooling
>> service having to come up with its own preoject definition and
>> version control hosting integration code.
>
> Sure, happy to share tooling with other people. What sort of work have
> those other projects been doing in that regard ?

The part of the RTFD design that seemed relevant is this:
https://docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started.html#import-your-docs

There's also the part about identifying different versions of a
project from the VCS history:
https://docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/features.html#versions

What got me thinking about it was my suggestion about POST commit
hooks, since RTFD offers those to trigger docs builds, and it seems to
me that most of their other VCS integration features would be useful
too.

Cheers,
Nick.