[Container-tools] Recommendations for bootstrapping a local k8s cluster?

James Shubin purpleidea at redhat.com
Fri May 22 07:25:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-22 at 14:23 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 22 May 2015 at 03:26, James Shubin <purpleidea at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 15:34 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >> Following on from my initial experimentation with helloapache, it
> >> quickly became clear to me that a local k8s cluster is going to be
> >> essential for any serious exploration of nulecule's capabilities (with
> >> my main aim being to see how much of
> >> https://beaker-project.org/docs-develop/in-a-box/ nulecule can already
> >> handle, and what would be needed to get it the rest of the way).
> >>
> >> James has some Oh My Vagrant instructions at
> >> https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/kubernetes-clusters-with-oh-my-vagrant/
> >>
> >> k8s upstream has some Vagrant based instructions at
> >> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/getting-started-guides/vagrant.md
> >>
> >> Neither of those seem particularly appealing, so if there's a way to
> >> make it work I'd like something along the lines of:
> > I'd love to hear some specifics of what you don't find appealing about
> > Oh-My-Vagrant. If there are legitimate issues, we can fix them :)
>
> Mainly the fact I can't install it with yum/dnf or docker/atomic - as
> far as I can tell, OMV is designed to be run specifically from a
> source checkout rather than using a published release artifact.
How would a dev environment work if you installed it via an RPM?

In reality, it doesn't make sense to debate the merits. More
importantly: if you think an RPM format would be useful, then I'd love
to have your help in packaging/maintaining it. Once you agree, I will
start making versioned tarball releases if that will help you.

That's the beauty of this, if it works for you, then you should do it!