[Container-tools] Recommendations for bootstrapping a local k8s cluster?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:50:32 UTC 2015

https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/kubernetes-clusters-with-oh-my-vagrant/

https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/blob/master/docs/getting-started-guides/vagrant.md

> > > I'd love to hear some specifics of what you don't find appealing about
> > > Oh-My-Vagrant. If there are legitimate issues, we can fix them :)
> >
> > Mainly the fact I can't install it with yum/dnf or docker/atomic - as
> > far as I can tell, OMV is designed to be run specifically from a
> > source checkout rather than using a published release artifact.
> How would a dev environment work if you installed it via an RPM?
>
> In reality, it doesn't make sense to debate the merits. More
> importantly: if you think an RPM format would be useful, then I'd love
> to have your help in packaging/maintaining it. Once you agree, I will
> start making versioned tarball releases if that will help you.
>
> That's the beauty of this, if it works for you, then you should do it!

I think git's a good delivery vehicle for Oh My Vagrant in general, I'm
just aiming for a bootstrapping user experience in this case that doesn't
require the end user to opt into any particular tech other than Docker,
libvirt & Kubernetes.

For the image build part, I *am* currently using OMV via git subtree (so I
don't need git inside the image), which means that if the final container
image turns out to be impractically large, the image build instructions +
the bootstrapping script will hopefully still be useful for automated
testing of the OMV+Ansible based bootstrapping process.

Cheers,
Nick.