[Container-tools] Fwd: OpenStack keynotes (Tuesday)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 27 06:48:00 UTC 2015

On 26 May 2015 at 23:59, Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com> wrote:
> In general, it would be very nice to see a comparison of Murano and
> Nulecule by someone familiar with both, for someone familiar with neither.

My initial impression is that they seem to be targeting completely
different problems, with the only point of overlap being the
underlying need to describe complex multi-service applications.

Nulecule is aimed at delivering application deployment instructions
*as containers*. So if you're using containers to deploy something,
you pull the deployment instructions down the same way you would pull
the service itself. It's a pluggable specification, so your image
needs to support your orchestration and container providers, but you
aren't coupled to any particular infrastructure-as-a-service layer.

Looking at Murano (specifically
https://murano.readthedocs.org/en/latest/draft/appdev-guide/step_by_step.html),
it seems to instead be aimed specifically at OpenStack environments,
including being able to plug in to the Horizon Dashboard for
provisioning purposes.

It seems to me that being able to automatically derive a Murano app
definition from a Nulecule file would be a useful capability when
using OpenStack based infrastructure, but that Murano isn't even
trying to match Nulecule's IaaS independence.

Regards,
Nick.