[Container-tools] Atomic CLI + Atomicapp workflow

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Wed Nov 4 01:45:43 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've had conversations over the past few weeks with many of you about
atomicapp and running it through Atomic CLI. Basically the problem is
that the INSTALL/RUN/STOP labels are a bit fragile and we have seen
breakage a few times as a result. In the discussions we have talked
about better alternatives and I think this is what we'd like to go with
in the future:

1 - the only case where atomic cli needs to work is for running `atomic
run <appname>` any other piece of the puzzle WILL be handled by the
atomicapp cli (excludes openshift use case)
2 - people can use the atomicapp cli to do
unpack/install/run/uninstall/etc... whatever the tool supports they can
do it
3 - people can use atomicapp cli from an installed rpm OR from an alias
that runs a docker container to run the cli

An example of the alias would be:
alias atomicapp='docker run -it --rm  --privileged -v $(pwd):/atomicapp
-v /run:/run -v /:/host --net=host --name atomicapp
projectatomic/atomicapp:latest'
OR in the future may be:
alias atomicapp='atomic run projectatomic/atomicapp'

The idea is that you would use the alias just like if atomicapp were
installed on the system:
atomicapp install dusty/helloapache
cd /var/lib/atomicapp/dusty-helloapache-9cb2a3704f1d
atomicapp run --provider docker ./
curl localhost
atomicapp stop ./

So with all of this, my question is: can we get rid of the INSTALL and
STOP labels in the Dockerfiles for Atomic App?

Dusty