[Container-tools] HyperV

Todd Mancini tmancini at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 13:00:32 UTC 2015

Only 1 Hypervisor can run at a time. If Hyper-V is enabled (and, on most dev machines, it is enabled and it runs at boot time), when you attempt to launch another hypervisor, the other hypervisor will fail to launch, usually with some incomprehensible error message.

We saw this a lot when Visual Studio users first tried to do Android development using the default emulator in the ADK with HAXM. And, due to the terrible error messages, people would struggle for hours if not days to get it to work.

The thing is -- you cannot turn off Hyper-V -- it's a PXE/boot-time service. So even if you stop the service when Windows is running, the virtulization hooks to the processor have already done their business and cannot be undone.

This leaves you with two options -- (1) uninstall Hyper-V, which no dev wants to do because they likely need it for other things or (2) work some crazy magic with BCDEDIT to create a new boot entry so that you can optionally boot Windows without hyper-V. Which means that if you went this route and wanted to do android dev or, in our case, PDK dev, then you'd actually need to reboot first, do your work, and then likely reboot when you were done to get back to your 'normal' state.

Needless to say, pretty much everyone that tried this (myself included) gave up on it after a few days.

   -Todd