[Container-tools] HyperV

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 13:36:32 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 13:00, Todd Mancini wrote:
> Only 1 Hypervisor can run at a time. If Hyper-V is enabled (and, on
> most dev machines, it is enabled and it runs at boot time), when
> you attempt to launch another hypervisor, the other hypervisor will
> fail to launch, usually with some incomprehensible error message.
>
> We saw this a lot when Visual Studio users first tried to do
> Android development using the default emulator in the ADK with
> HAXM. And, due to the terrible error messages, people would
> struggle for hours if not days to get it to work.
>
> The thing is -- you cannot turn off Hyper-V -- it's a PXE/boot-time
> service. So even if you stop the service when Windows is running,
> the virtulization hooks to the processor have already done their
> business and cannot be undone.
>
> This leaves you with two options -- (1) uninstall Hyper-V, which no
> dev wants to do because they likely need it for other things or (2)
> work some crazy magic with BCDEDIT to create a new boot entry so
> that you can optionally boot Windows without hyper-V. Which means
> that if you went this route and wanted to do android dev or, in our
> case, PDK dev, then you'd actually need to reboot first, do your
> work, and then likely reboot when you were done to get back to your
> 'normal' state.
>
> Needless to say, pretty much everyone that tried this (myself
> included) gave up on it after a few days.

This is pretty much what I have seen as well. However, hyper-v isnt
installed as default, it needs to be opted into ( win 8/10 most
editions ). Once you are there, then its quite hard getting rid of it,
without also redoing all the work ( and therefore the reason why one
had hyper-v on there in the first place ).

Its possible to install and run vbox on the machine, fairly cleanly,
on a fresh install of windows (or one that hasent had hyper-v enabled
yet ).

Atlas index used to publish per hypervisor stats - so it might be
worth circling back there and working out what makes most sense. There
are a fair few people in 'enterprise' roles that also use vmware on
windows as their vagrant hypervisor ( I cant quantify that though ).

Regards.

- --
Karanbir Singh, The CentOS Project, London, UK
RH Ext. 8274455 | DID: 0044 207 009 4455