[Container-tools] Deduplication problem in answers.conf{, .sample}

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:15:44 UTC 2015

Hi Jeroen,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.ch> wrote:
>   $ atomic install kolab/manticore-atomicapp
>   (...snip...)
>   $ cat answers.conf.sample
>   [mongodb-atomicapp]
>   mongodb_admin_password = None
>   image = centos/mongodb-26-centos7
>   mongodb_password = None
>   mongodb_username = None
>   mongodb_quiet = True
>   mongodb_noprealloc = True
>   mongodb_smallfiles = True
>   mongodb_database = None
>   [manticore-atomicapp]
>   image = kolab/manticore
>   mongodb_database = None
>   mongodb_password = None
>   mongodb_hostname = mongodb:27017
>   mongodb_username = None
>   [general]
>   namespace = default
>   provider = kubernetes

**mongodb-atomicapp** is an external Nulecule app[1], which defines
it's own set of params. The params for **mongodb-atomicapp** has no
knowledge and relation with params defined in **manticore-atomicapp**
component[2]. Since, some the param names in both the components:
mongodb-atomicapp, manticore-atomicapp are same, it seems like that
they are redundant, but actually, they are different.

> While I would expect something closer to the following:
>
>   $ atomic install projectatomic/wordpress-centos7-atomicapp
>   (...snip...)
>   $ cat answers.conf.sample
>   [mariadb-atomicapp]
>   db_pass = None
>   db_name = None
>   root_pass = MySQLPass
>   db_user = None
>   [general]
>   namespace = default
>   provider = kubernetes

On the other hand, this example does not have an external dependency
to another Nulecule application.

Currently, given the schema of answers file, and also due to the
Nulecule spec, there isn't a way to pass params and data from one
component to the other, or have proper inheritance of components. This
is a limitation and we are brainstorming on how to make things better.

I hope that this answers your question. Let us know if you have any doubt.

[1]: https://github.com/kanarip/kolab-atomicapp/blob/master/05-manticore-atomicapp/Nulecule#L12
[2]: https://github.com/kanarip/kolab-atomicapp/blob/master/05-manticore-atomicapp/Nulecule#L15

Thanks,
rtnpro