[Container-tools] Way towards implementing nested Nulecule applications

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:23:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.ch> wrote:
> On 2015-11-18 20:03, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
>> - it's hard to use external Nulecule applications out of the box
>>
> There are limitations sometimes, but I've not found
> mariadb-centos7-atomicapp or mongodb-centos7-atomicapp that difficult to
> use.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you find it is that is difficult?

- It's mostly because of the way Nulecule apps are written.

  For example, during my initial days with Nulecule, some Nulecule
examples won't let the container image run be customized. So, you have
no other way, but to fork the nulecule, and customize it on your own.
However, nowadays, it has become a common practice to such values
configurable by exposing them as params. Also, [1] adds much more
flexibility to customize a Nulecule app on runtime without editing the
source.

- Another reason would be the noise in the container ecosystem.

  For example, postgres official docker image is not identical in
terms of its arguments, options, environment variables with
centpos/postgresql. So, when packaging sentry Nulecule application, I
could not use centos postgresql nulecule[2].

[1]: https://github.com/projectatomic/atomicapp/pull/366
[2]: https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule-library/tree/master/postgresql-centos7-atomicapp

Thanks,
rtnpro