[Container-tools] Way towards implementing nested Nulecule applications

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.ch
Wed Nov 18 21:43:26 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-18 20:03, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Those who have been adventurous with the Nulecule spec and have tried
> to implement nested Nulecule applications, 3 or more levels deep, must
> have realized the pain points of doing so:
>
> - it's hard to use external Nulecule applications out of the box

There are limitations sometimes, but I've not found
mariadb-centos7-atomicapp or mongodb-centos7-atomicapp that difficult to
use.

Could you elaborate on what you find it is that is difficult?

> - namespace conflicts in a flat **answers** data

I'm running in to this particular issue myself as well, also later on --
when the second "mariadb" Pod gets created like I described on this list
earlier [1].

I work around both problems by creating Nulecule application container
images for each of the separate instances, FROM
projectatomic/mariadb-centos7-atomicapp, and substituting values in
/application-entity/{Nulecule,artifacts/kubernetes/*.yaml} like so [2].

> - duplicate params across sections in answers data

Amen.

> I have started articulating the ideas(problems and solutions) we have
> been brainstorming on for some time at [1], to improve the developer
> experience when developing nested Nulecule applications.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule/issues/187

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/container-tools/2015-November/msg00208.html
[2]