[Container-tools] atomicapp as an installer

Aaron Weitekamp aweiteka at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 21:27:10 UTC 2015

Part of the confusion that accompanies atomicapp is that we're treating it
as a "new thing." To the new end-user or application developer/packager,
running an atomicapp image doesn't mean anything until we explain it.
That's hard and we haven't done a good job of explaining things.

If we agree that Atomic App is an installer[1] for container
applications[2] then our story is simplified. In the container space
installation is tightly coupled to orchestration so we demonstrate how we
address that. Recognizing that orchestration platforms have different
installation needs and capabilities helps us address those. Successful
installers are flexible, easy to use, have clear instructions and some
tooling or template to create them.

Is this helpful? Too simplistic? Do we label our atomicapp containers
something meaningful like <myapp>-installer? There is precedent[3].

[1] A good installer also handles update and uninstall lifecycle actions.
[2]
https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule#composite-container-based-application-specification
[3] https://hub.docker.com/search/?q=installer