[Container-tools] Persistent storage in Docker (Flocker plugin)

Mark Lamourine markllama at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 21:02:58 UTC 2015

----- Charlie Drage <cdrage at redhat.com> wrote:
> So I'm working on getting persitent storage implemented for Atomic App
> GA.
>
> Kubernetes seems straight forward:
> http://kubernetes.io/v1.0/docs/user-guide/persistent-volumes/README.html
>
> The same as OpenShift:
> https://docs.openshift.com/enterprise/3.0/dev_guide/persistent_volumes.html
>
> Docker is a bit cumbersome at the moment. They have "data volumes",
> but  it's not very intuitive:
> http://docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/dockervolumes/
>
> The best possible way of implementing this (imo) would be the Flocker plugin
> recommended by Docker itself here:
> http://docs.docker.com/engine/extend/plugins_volume/
> (See 1.9 announcement:
> https://blog.docker.com/2015/11/docker-1-9-production-ready-swarm-multi-host-networking/)
>
> Anyone else have any ideas/alternatives for the best possible
> implementation for the Docker provider?

It would be fair to stipulate that the Docker environment limits use to a single host. The user has to do some work to make the atomicapp work (create a filesystem space and make it available to mount into the app).

At this point it's unreasonable to expect the simpler environments to provide all of the behaviors of the complex ones.  We don't try to do host to host networking (flannel), the user has to provide that outside if they want it.  We dont' provide routes ala openshift or AEP in the docker environment.

A big part of the "spec" or "best practices" guide for creating universal container images was a requirement that the container developer indicate what, if anything, you'd have to do to use the container in simpler environment. We *can* put a doc requirement on the container developers for best-practices, and we don't have to pretend that atomicapp outside of openshift or AEP will have the same capabilities.

That said, if you can figure out how to make it work, by all means.

- Mark