[Container-tools] Creating a download location for ADB Vagrant boxes

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 15:42:04 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 08:40 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> On 08/10/15 12:30, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
>> so, 'try out' only ?
>>> Nope. I should have used better words. Its for application
>>> developers who will benefit using the Vagrant box (Refer the
>>> Project Readme)
> my take on that is that its meant for an onramp into an environment to
> really do things.
>
>> the key being that if you want to provide the people on this
>> mailing list with a very fast release cycle, perhaps nightly, so
>> they can validate their own work rapidly V/s providing the wider
>> contributor base V/s provider the wider userbase ( ! contributor
>> ).
>>
>> For the second two of those situations is where it makes sense to
>> use centos.org resources, and then do quickstart guides,
>> announces, mechanics from the CentOS side of things.
>>
>> I suspect the first of those groups is likely happy with a yum
>> update in an established box, nightly ?
>>
>>> The kickstart file for the Vagrant box is changing . So its just
>>> not yum update. Also we might want to change the default
>>> Vagrantfile which comes with the Image (may be an enhancement to
>>> image-factory or a separate script).
> surely you dont mean to imply that every XX days you intend to orphan
> every last one of the users who happens to have onramped with the last
> box.

Nope, if a user follows  Vagrant way of updating the box , he/she will
be fine. This process does not change for the ADB Vagrant box no matter
where we put it.

> think of a release as features, the box is their way to get there, but
> once there how are you going to maintain their work ? I dont think its
> a great user experience if you are intending to force everyone to
> update constantly, starting from scratch - specially when the box's
> ship with no functional two way sync.

We are working on providing a 2 way sync or equivalent.

> how much of the payload in the box is coming from unpackaged content ?
> that would be the biggest challenge here. the rest of the environment,
> i suspect folks will live with.

Everything should be packaged properly. We have no plan to take
un-packaged content.
>>> Using CentOS resources fine with me. Actually that would be
>>> welcome. However I guess we have to wait little more to get all
>>> required resources [1]
>>> [1]
>>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-October/013917.h
> tml
>
> what
> resources are you waiting for ?
Honestly I dont have anything to add, apart from what I have mentioned
in [1]

[1] https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-October/013917.html

Thanks,
Lala