[Container-tools] Creating a download location for ADB Vagrant boxes

Karanbir Singh kbsingh at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 15:10:27 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 12:30, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
> so, 'try out' only ?
>> Nope. I should have used better words. Its for application
>> developers who will benefit using the Vagrant box (Refer the
>> Project Readme)

my take on that is that its meant for an onramp into an environment to
really do things.

> the key being that if you want to provide the people on this
> mailing list with a very fast release cycle, perhaps nightly, so
> they can validate their own work rapidly V/s providing the wider
> contributor base V/s provider the wider userbase ( ! contributor
> ).
>
> For the second two of those situations is where it makes sense to
> use centos.org resources, and then do quickstart guides,
> announces, mechanics from the CentOS side of things.
>
> I suspect the first of those groups is likely happy with a yum
> update in an established box, nightly ?
>
>> The kickstart file for the Vagrant box is changing . So its just
>> not yum update. Also we might want to change the default
>> Vagrantfile which comes with the Image (may be an enhancement to
>> image-factory or a separate script).

surely you dont mean to imply that every XX days you intend to orphan
every last one of the users who happens to have onramped with the last
box.

think of a release as features, the box is their way to get there, but
once there how are you going to maintain their work ? I dont think its
a great user experience if you are intending to force everyone to
update constantly, starting from scratch - specially when the box's
ship with no functional two way sync.

how much of the payload in the box is coming from unpackaged content ?
that would be the biggest challenge here. the rest of the environment,
i suspect folks will live with.

>> Using CentOS resources fine with me. Actually that would be
>> welcome. However I guess we have to wait little more to get all
>> required resources [1]
>
>> [1]
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2015-October/013917.h
tml

what

resources are you waiting for ?

- --
Karanbir Singh, The CentOS Project, London, UK
RH Ext. 8274455 | DID: 0044 207 009 4455