[Container-tools] OpenShift integration with atomicapp

Aaron Weitekamp aweiteka at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 21:08:41 UTC 2015

Speaking with Clayton we believe we have a path to running an atomicapp
using native OpenShift 'oc' CLI.

*Proposal:*

oc new-app <atomicapp-image> [-p foo=bar,bee=baz]

This command will kick off running the image in a pod. Inside this pod oc
commands will be executed as the user. Remote or composite atomicapps will
be chained in the same way via oc new-app <remote-image>.

For MVP we will not support answerfile or interactive install since oc does
not have a mechanism for that today.

All other application lifecycle commands will be handled by native oc
commands as they are today, outside of atomicapp.

*Required changes (for discussion):*
- identify an io.openshift label for atomicapp image that identifies as an
atomicapp
- openshift user token should be passed into the atomicapp pod
- atomicapp openshift provider should not call docker but use the oc client
- params need to be passed into atomicapp pod and need to be parsed by
atomicapp
- oc client either needs to be built into atomicapp or a sidecar container
needs to be spun up in the same pod. TBD

There are probably many other details I'm missing. It basically means some
patches to openshift, refactor openshift provider and support all the edge
cases to handle params, etc.