[Container-tools] OpenShift integration with atomicapp

Aaron Weitekamp aweiteka at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 01:37:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Aaron Weitekamp <aweiteka at redhat.com> wrote:

> Speaking with Clayton we believe we have a path to running an atomicapp
> using native OpenShift 'oc' CLI.
>
> *Proposal:*
>
> oc new-app <atomicapp-image> [-p foo=bar,bee=baz]
>
> This command will kick off running the image in a pod. Inside this pod oc
> commands will be executed as the user. Remote or composite atomicapps will
> be chained in the same way via oc new-app <remote-image>.
>
> For MVP we will not support answerfile or interactive install since oc
> does not have a mechanism for that today.
>
> All other application lifecycle commands will be handled by native oc
> commands as they are today, outside of atomicapp.
>
> *Required changes (for discussion):*
> - identify an io.openshift label for atomicapp image that identifies as an
> atomicapp
> - openshift user token should be passed into the atomicapp pod
> - atomicapp openshift provider should not call docker but use the oc client
> - params need to be passed into atomicapp pod and need to be parsed by
> atomicapp
> - oc client either needs to be built into atomicapp or a sidecar container
> needs to be spun up in the same pod. TBD

​One more item: since the oc command won't be aware of the params until the
remote pod is run I think we need to bake these into the image metadata and
extend openshift to display these. Otherwise the end-user will not know
what the params are.​ Something like this in the Dockerfile:

LABEL io.openshift.my-app.parameter.FOO.default="bar" \
            io.openshift.my-app.parameter.FOO.description="Some foo for
your bar"