[Container-tools] Including docker images in ADB Vagrant box

Vaclav Pavlin vpavlin at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 14:24:06 UTC 2015

Hey, I guess we are talking about CentOS Koji, right? I guess it has access
to CentOS infrastructure (at least to some of it). Can we rather setup a
Docker registry in CentOS infra which will serve solely for feeding images
to Vagrant builds? It should be quite easy to preload such registry
instance with images we want in the Vagrant box. And it would make much
more sense than to build an image as suggested in your repo.

I think we will get into same problems on the Fedora side if we decide
something like this and rebuilding all images which should be included
doesn't seem to be the best solution.

Cheers,
Vašek

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the thing we want to do with ADB (Atomic Developer Bundle) is to
> pre-load the vagrant box with some docker images (e.g. OpenShift docker
> image).
>
> I have spent some time on this and I found this to be more tricky then I
> thought. Here are the details.
>
> * We use koji to build the Vagrant box from a kickstart file and koji does
> not have access to internet for some valid reasons. Hence we cant do
> "docker pull" during the build process as it does not have access to
> internet.
>
> * So as a workaround we thought of packaging the docker images in a RPM
> and use the RPM in the kickstart file to bake it in to the Vagrant box.
>
> Here is the poc git repo for that :
> https://github.com/LalatenduMohanty/rpmspec-for-docker-images
>
> Comments/suggestion are welcome.
>
> Let me know if you have a better idea to build Vagrant boxes with docker
> images pre-loaded in koji.
>
> Thanks,
> Lala

Architect - Senior Software Engineer