[Container-tools] Nulecule Examples

Brian (bex) Exelbierd bex at pobox.com
Fri Sep 4 14:41:21 UTC 2015

On 09/04/2015 11:22 AM, Lalatendu Mohanty wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 01:14 PM, Christoph Görn wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>   I would like to (re)start a conversation about all the example we
>> produce within the Nulecule Specification. They need a new home!
>>
>>   We keep some examples in the Specification as we think that
>> developers like real code and not only human readable text... they
>> explain what we spec'd out as text.
>>
>>   Nevertheless there are plenty of examples of different quality, which
>> does not always help...
>>
>>   Proposal:
>>
>>   1. implement [1] so that we have one example to rule them all.
>>   1.1. republish [1] as a projectatomic.io blog entry so that we can
>> kick off a series? bex?
>>
>>   2. merge the base container images we have created with the
>> corresponding repos of Fedora/CentOS
>>
>>   3. remove all but [1] from the Nulecule Spec and create a 'library'
>> document
>>
>>   4. create a library document which points ppl to nuleculized
>> applications within CentOS-Dockerfiles and/or Fedora-Dockerfiles
>>

>>   PS: Jim, Scott, pls copy any ML you think needs to be on this.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>     //G
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/projectatomic/nulecule/issues/162#issuecomment-137359
>> 068
>>

> I don't think these example Dockerfiles should land in
> CentOS-Dockerfiles and/or Fedora-Dockerfiles. Because these are not
> typical Dockerfiles but specific to Nulecule and Atomic App.
>
> If we really want a new home, then we should create a separate github
> repo under projectatomic and some interested folks can maintain this.
>
> The good think about having separate repo is that we can open it (i.e.
> have separate directory structures) for Dockerfiles based on different
> Linux/GNU distributions.

I'd rather see the distributions create examples that are meaningful to
their userbase. That has more value than having a repo that consists of
identical docker files with s/fedora/centos/ and s/dnf/yum/ in place.
These examples should live somewhere in the distributions repo space.
This also allows the repos to show which implementation of the spec they
prefer/package.

I believe the Nulecule repo should contain examples with just the actual
nulecule components in a flat structure or a structure that makes sense
for a few well chosen examples that show off the power and depth of the
spec.

Atomic App and atomicapp-go should contain examples that show off the
poewr of their implementation and they should also compile all examples
in the Nulecule repo.

regards,

bex