[Container-tools] Notes from the Container Tool Cabal call Sep 16

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 01:50:52 UTC 2015

       Some notes from the Container Tool Cabal call Sep 16

1/ Builds for beta2, Ian made most of the build in internal Brew RCM to
   assemble and put in a public place

2/ Openshift: if we need to get fixes into OpenShift then we should get the
   list for Brno meeting
  - What would it mean to have a nulecule enabled Openshift
  - Atomicapp can be used to upload templates ...
  - transform the nulecule to an openshift template and have it deployed ?

    Carl:
      - how do we pull from a registry ?
      - how do we pull from a built image ?

    Aaron: would have this codified
    Carl: we may grab Clayton's time for an afternoon while in Brno, we need
          to have those questions ready.

 - Let's say we have an application built on a virtual machine, and we
   would like to get it in a set of containers. There could be case where
   the person want to import it into OpenShift.
 - If someone made an OpenShift app and want to export it as nulecule app
   and have it published on a registry... the app would then use kubernetes,
   we would need its features.

   General questions about integration of Nulecule/atomic app and OpenShift.
   things like v2c would need support to handle the fact that OpenShit app
   can't run as root

3/ iterative update
  - Christoph think that atomic app should not do updates
  - Carl use case is someone develop an app with atomic app, push it
    to OpenShift think it's wrong, can we stop the container and allow
    examination of state before allowing to make a new run.
  - We should probably not need to restart vagrant but the container themselves,
    yes
  - Are run/stop/destroy sufficient, Docker has run/start/stop/destroy
  - Is there a way to do a stop without detroy in kubernetes ?
  - What about uninstall ? Aaron had a PR for this but this was denied
  - Uninstall sounds like the images would be removed
  - We should probably use the same verbs for actions as docker, e.g. rm
    instad of uninstall, etc ...
  - In general we shouldn't have to restart the vagrant box if one want to
    push a new version of the code say from Eclipse
  - Dusty likes the idea of a new BJ chat to examine the issue

=> TODO we need to add like 2-3 research oriented cards 'spike' to trello
   about those OpenShift integration question

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/