[Container-tools] Why do we have "rhel-docker-eclipse"?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 07:54:16 UTC 2016

On 12 Feb 2016, at 21:59, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:

>> On Feb 6, 2016, at 4:01 PM, Burr Sutter <bsutter at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> One Vagrantfile would best from a user experience perspective.
>>
>> The RHEL team really want an option that “turns off Openshift”
>> and “turns on pure Kubernetes”    Now, this k8s user is
>> definitely more “hardcore” and he/she would be comfortable with
>> some work on the linux command line to perform this trick.
>>
>> Can we have one Vagrantfile that defaults to a “docker + oc”
>> experience and offers a command line switch to go to pure k8s?
>
> I believe it is better to have a Vagrantfile up front and center
> starts the preferred environment, in this case, OpenShift and
> additional Vagrantfiles that do other things available or easily
> created from documentation.
>
> A user who doesn't  want what the project considers the default is
> going to get annoyed pretty quickly at having to always boot what they
> don't want just so that they can turn on what they want and sit
> through another provisioning cycle.
>
> There is no single "correct" Vagrantfile in my opinion.  Our
> simplification efforts will pay big dividends, but we shouldn't try to
> solve it all in one "mother" file.

It might be there is not a single vagrant file that can handle
everything and the kitchensink, but
there is *one* vagrant file that is more right than the others - and
that is the default experience
we want majority of our users to have on first download/usage of the
CDK.

That is what Burr is referring to above around one Vagrantfile - having
a simple and consistent
out of box experience.

I thought this was what we agreed on last week ?

A) Delete the rhel-docker-eclipse (since it is badly named - it has
nothing to do with eclipse)
B) One Vagrantfile to be in the zip distro for users to use
C) Other vagrant files in docs or in a "misc" folder.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen