[Container-tools] Enhance Vagrant Service-Manager with a Provisioner

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 12:00:04 UTC 2016

On 02/24/2016 04:04 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We'd like input on a proposed enhancement to vagrant service-manager.
>
> We would like to extend the plugin to have a provisioner as well. This
> provisioner would be a vagrant hook that would launch as soon as the
> vagrant box was fully configured and up, according to vagrant.
>
> The provisioner would do the actual work of starting any requested
> services (i.e. OpenShift or Kubernetes) as well as handle the startup
> and setup of docker and its TLS certificates.
>
> This essentially gives us more control over the initialization process
> and allows us to bypass the race-issue we have with the second network
> adapter showing up late in the boot process.l
>
> We hope to have a first cut of this code this week.  We appreciate
> your feedback.
>
> Please keep an eye on the github repo [1] as the final PR will be
> posted there.
>
> There is a start at
> https://github.com/projectatomic/vagrant-service-manager/pull/54
>
> [1] https://github.com/projectatomic/vagrant-service-manager

The design addresses these two issues :

1.Generate TLS certs during provisioning -
https://github.com/projectatomic/vagrant-service-manager/issues/21
2. service-manager command kills running docker containers on first
execution -
https://github.com/projectatomic/vagrant-service-manager/issues/12

In order to fix the #12 issue, we have to disable docker demon in ADB
Vagrant box at boot. So that service-manager's  docker provisioner can
take care of starting the demon with correct TLS certificates.

The major implication is , from this onward if you use ADB Vagrantbox
without service-manager plugin , docker demon will not running
by-default after "vagrant up".  I think it is fine as we need
service-manger with the Vagrant box anyway.

Thanks,
Lala