[Container-tools] Ways to enable Vagrant Service-Manager plugin

Budh Ram budhram.gurung01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 09:04:55 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Brian (bex) Exelbierd <bex at pobox.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 6:15 PM, Budh Ram <budhram.gurung01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We would like to get input on different ways of enabling "vagrant
> service-manager" plugin [1].
> >
> > We could come up with following possible ways:
> >
> > 1. Enable for all Vagrant boxes regardless.
>
> I think this is too invasive.

I believe this one is default behavior of every vagrant plugin. If one
don't want feature, then it should not be installed.

> > 2. Set "enabled" flag "true" in Vagrantfile unless we specify any
> service(s).
> >
> >    config.servicemanager.enabled = true
> >
> >    or
> >
> >    config.servicemanager.services = 'openshift'
>
> This would work.  I believe that "config.service-manager.services =
> 'docker'" should also be accepted, even though it is a noop as pointed out
> below.
>
> > 3. Detect when to enable based on a set of names(particulary box name
> like 'projectatomic/adb')
>
> I like box detection.  I do not like detecting it via name.  Could we scan
> for /etc/release information? How heavy would this be on unrelated boxes,
> especially non-Linux ones?

Yes we can scan "/etc/os-release" and get the "VARIANT_ID" as "adb" or
"cdk" and detact against the box mentioned in Vagrantfile. One concern is
that the box name in Vagrantfile is combination of "projectatomic" and
"adb"/"cdk". So, we can extract out "adb" / "cdk" and compare it. I hope
this approach is fine.

--
Cheers!!!
Budh Ram Gurung