[Container-tools] A common naming scheme for Atomic App Docker containers

Dusty Mabe dusty at dustymabe.com
Thu Jan 7 17:33:09 UTC 2016

On 01/06/2016 04:16 PM, Charlie Drage wrote:
> There's been some different naming conventions in regards to atomicapp
> images.
>
> Some images are just standard names (ex. 'helloapache') while others
> have 'atomicapp' appended at the end of them. One of them just has
> '-app'.
>
> We should have a common naming practice when it comes down to
> atomicapp-esque images uploaded to Docker Hub.
>
> Currently these images will need to be converted to their proper
> names:
> 	helloapache -> helloapache-atomicapp
> 	guestbootgo-app -> guestbookgo-atomicapp
> 	dockerfile-lint -> dockerfile-lint-atomicapp (what is this?)

I don't think that is an atomicapp.

> The same should go forward with images in
> github.com/projectatomic/nulecule-library
>
> Unfortunatley in order to convert the current images in hub.docker.com
> to their names as well as link them to the source code in
> github.com/projectatomic/nulecule-library they will have to be deleted
> and re-created within Docker hub.
>
> Thoughts?

I would do something like the following:

projectatomic/gitlab-centos7-atomicapp      ->
projectatomic/gitlab-centos7-atomicapp
projectatomic/guestbookgo-app               ->
projectatomic/guestbookgo-atomicapp
projectatomic/helloapache                   ->
projectatomic/apache-centos7-atomicapp
projectatomic/mariadb-centos7-atomicapp     ->
projectatomic/mariadb-centos7-atomicapp
projectatomic/mysql-centos7-atomicapp       ->
projectatomic/mysql-centos7-atomicapp
projectatomic/redis-centos7-atomicapp       ->
projectatomic/redis-centos7-atomicapp
projectatomic/skydns-atomicapp              ->
projectatomic/skydns-atomicapp
projectatomic/wordpress-centos7-atomicapp   ->
projectatomic/wordpress-centos7-atomicapp

Basically if the underlying containers are built on base images then
include that in the
name. If built out of bare containers (like guestbook and skydns, then
don't include it).

Another option is to remove centos completely from the name..

Another thing is that as we go "projectatomic" will probably have more
containers released
so we may want to move to a different toplevel name at some point
"atomicapp" or
"nulecule" both come to mind.

Thoughts?

Dusty