[Container-tools] sshfs progress - try it out

Hardy Ferentschik hardy.ferentschik at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 15:08:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

Here is an update from my attempts to get the sshfs to work on Windows.

> I am curious how this would work on Windows. Not quite sure how to start sshd yet.
> We are trying to avoid cygwin in favour of mingw. Not sure whether it includes a sshd.
> I try to do some research. If anyone knows, let me know :-)

Installing the plugin worked fine. I decided for the ssh PowerShell port as a solution for
the sshd on Windows - https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH

I followed the instructions to install the sshd and got it started. The I added the synced
folder in the Vagrantfile and did a 'vagrant up'. I provided the password when asked for it
and then got that:

==> default: Installing SSHFS client...
==> default: Detected host IP address is '10.0.2.2'
    default: SSHFS password for 'IEUser':
==> default: Mounting SSHFS shared folders...
==> default: Mounting folder via SSHFS: C:/Users/IEUser/tmp => /mount/windows
Mounting SSHFS shared folders failed. This is most often caused by either
an SSH Daemon not running on the host or invalid credentials being provided.
Please make sure an SSH daemon is running on the host and proper credentials
were provided to be able to authenticate via SSH.

The command and output are:

echo 'Passw0rd!' | sshfs -p 22 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o allow_other -o noauto_cache -o password_stdin IEUser at 10.0.2.2:'C:/Users/IEUser/tmp' /mount/windows

Stdout from the command:
Stderr from the command:

read: Connection reset by peer

When I vagrant ssh into the VM and execute a 'ssh IEUser at 10.0.2.2' it works fine. But the above sshfs command fails
with "Connection reset by peer". No idea how to get more information than that for now.
AFAIU the PowerShell ssh port is work in progress. I am wondering whether sshfs uses some options which are not
available yet. If that is the case the question is how to get sshd to run. There is the cygwin approach, but as
mentioned we are trying to ditch cygwin.

Thoughts?

--Hardy