[Container-tools] Minishift 1.0.0-beta.2 release

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 09:28:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

We are happy to announce the second Minishift beta release - Minishift 1.0.0-beta.2 [1].

While the previous release focused on the initial switch to ‘oc cluster up’ for provisioning, we worked hard in this beta.2 release fixing some of the issues this switch introduced.
Most importantly, we broke persistence of the OpenShift configuration. This meant each time you stopped and then re-started Minishift, OpenShift got re-provisioned.
This issue [2] is now resolved. OpenShift configuration will persist until ‘minishift delete’ is called.

On a side note, if you are using ‘minishift start’ with explicit flags for ‘--iso-url’ and ‘--vm-driver’, you will need to specify the same parameters on each re-start.
If parameters don’t match, the virtual machine won’t start. This is a usability issue and we are discussing various solutions as part of issue #179 [3].
Feel free to weigh in, if you have a preference for any of the discussed solutions.

In the meantime, you can set the environment variables MINISHIFT_ISO_URL and MINISHIFT_VM_DRIVER ensuring that the respective command line flags are set on each call to ‘minishift start’.
You can read more about environment variables in the documentation [4].

Two other important issues #206 [5] and #221 [6] affected Windows users. In both cases the intended caching mechanism failed and is now fixed.

Last but not least, we disabled any automatic updates of Minishift and its default ISO. Automatic updates have been broken by Minishift 1.0.0-beta.1 due to the fact that we are now
releasing archive bundles instead of single binaries [7]. This resulted in the creation of issue #204 [8]. Since we in parallel got various bug reports indicating that the automatic
update algorithm was causing issues hitting the GitHub API rate limit, we decided for now to completely disable any automatic updates [9] and rethink the current approach in an upcoming release.
Please follow the manual installation instructions as provided by the documentation [10] in the meantime.

If you are interested to use the CentOS based ISO, there is a new release as well - minishift-centos-iso 1.0.0-beta.1 [11]. You will need to use this ISO if you want to make sure your
OpenShift configuration is persistent with the CentOS VM.

Enjoy the new release and please keep the feedback flowing,
Hardy

[1] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/releases/tag/v1.0.0-beta.2
[2] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/210
[3] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/179