[Container-tools] Minishift 1.0.0-beta.3

Hardy Ferentschik hferents at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 12:06:03 UTC 2017

Hi,

We are happy to announce the next Minishift release - Minishift 1.0.0-beta.3 [1].

The two main highlights of this version are, that we are now aligning with OpenShift Origin 1.4.1 [2]
and that we overhauled the persistent configuration options [3]. We also made sure to finally document this [4].
The persistent configuration allows you to save the flags you most often use in a configuration file and get them
applied transparently. For example, if you always want to use VirtualBox, you can run:

$ minishift config set vm-driver virtualbox

Now you can just run the start command without specifying the driver option:

$ minishift start
Starting local OpenShift cluster using 'virtualbox' hypervisor...

We also did a general review of the documentation and error messages, aiming for a more consistent terminology
describing the various aspects of Minishift. Hopefully this will provide a better user experience.

In total we addressed 26 issues and a lot of bigger features (proxy support, ability to configure the OpenShift
master configuration, etc) are mid-air. Expect the next release to be a big one :-)

When it comes to the virtual machine ISOs, we released minishift-centos-iso 1.0.0-rc.1 [5]. Most noteable it has
now SELinux enabled and  contains an updated version of Docker (1.12). When using Minishift 1.0.0-beta.3, make sure
to use the latest ISO release as well, since older versions won’t work anymore.

Feedback is always welcome. If you want to report a bug or request a new feature, please use the Minishift GitHub
issue tracker [6].

Enjoy!

[1] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/releases/tag/v1.0.0-beta.3
[2] https://github.com/minishift/minishift/issues/328