[Crash-utility] xencrash: crash analisys tool for Xen hypervisor

Itsuro ODA oda at valinux.co.jp
Mon Oct 30 06:47:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are developing a crash analisys tool -- xencrash --
like "crash" for Xen hypervisor.

Though the structure of Linux and Xen hypervisor is different,
the requirements for an analisys tool is same essentially.
I think "crash" can be spported analisys of Xen hypervisor
to add quite small modification, and this is best way to
avoid reinvent the wheel.

The attached patch is a prototype of xencrash and it is
a proof-of-concept mentioned above.
(I think this is already usefull for developers of Xen
 hypervisor thouth it is a prototype and only support x86.)

Please evaluate this if you are interesting in crash analisys
for Xen hypervisor. (We must analyze both Linux kernel and
Xen hypervisor. Don't you?)
Any comments are welcome.

To use xencrash:
- cd crash-4.0-3.8
- zcat xencrash-4.0-3.8-0.1.patch.gz | patch -p1
- make xencrash

usage: xencrash xen-syms dump-file
   where dump-file is either
   - vmcore (whole memory dump image) get by kdump, or
   - xendump (the part of xen hypervisor) cut by dom0cut

xencrash supports only x86 now. (x86_64 and IA64 is under
development)

Thanks.
--
Itsuro ODA <oda at valinux.co.jp>