[Crash-utility] xencrash: crash analisys tool for Xen hypervisor

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 14:36:48 UTC 2006

Itsuro ODA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are developing a crash analisys tool -- xencrash --
> like "crash" for Xen hypervisor.
>
> Though the structure of Linux and Xen hypervisor is different,
> the requirements for an analisys tool is same essentially.
> I think "crash" can be spported analisys of Xen hypervisor
> to add quite small modification, and this is best way to
> avoid reinvent the wheel.
>
> The attached patch is a prototype of xencrash and it is
> a proof-of-concept mentioned above.
> (I think this is already usefull for developers of Xen
>  hypervisor thouth it is a prototype and only support x86.)
>
> Please evaluate this if you are interesting in crash analisys
> for Xen hypervisor. (We must analyze both Linux kernel and
> Xen hypervisor. Don't you?)
> Any comments are welcome.
>
> To use xencrash:
> - cd crash-4.0-3.8
> - zcat xencrash-4.0-3.8-0.1.patch.gz | patch -p1
> - make xencrash
>
> usage: xencrash xen-syms dump-file
>    where dump-file is either
>    - vmcore (whole memory dump image) get by kdump, or
>    - xendump (the part of xen hypervisor) cut by dom0cut
>
> xencrash supports only x86 now. (x86_64 and IA64 is under
> development)
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Itsuro ODA <oda at valinux.co.jp>

Hello Itsuro,

I have only briefly scanned your patch, and find it very
interesting.  I am not at all familiar with the hypervisor
code, but I do have a couple simple questions at this point:

1. Is it necessary to create a separate "xencrash"
   binary?  Would it be possible to create a single
   crash binary that can be used for both vmlinux
   and xen-syms sessions?

2. Can you make it work with a live hypervisor system
   in the same way the crash works with a live Linux
   kernel?