[Crash-utility] less(1) TERM requirements; man page update

Markus Armbruster armbru at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 15:28:51 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> writes:

> Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> writes:

>>>I guess because $PAGER is typically not set, and PAGER=cat is
>>>pretty much the same as "set scroll off".
>> I don't mind when a tool has its own idiosyncratic default for unset
>> $PAGER, but I do mind when it ignores $PAGER in favour of its own
>> idiosyncratic pager selection mechanism.
>>

> Ok -- but I'm still curious as to what other pager would be
> preferable to less, more, or none?
>
> Dave

Personally, I'm happy with less and none, but I very much prefer to
control it through $PAGER, because that's the common way to do it.

A more philosophical argument is that it's simply not ours to decide
what pagers users are allowed use.  And we don't have to.  $PAGER is
no less usable than the alternatives, yet provides all the choice
users could want.