[Crash-utility] less(1) TERM requirements; man page update

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 15:34:04 UTC 2007

Dave Anderson wrote:
> Markus Armbruster wrote:
>
>> Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> writes:

>>> I guess because $PAGER is typically not set, and PAGER=cat is
>>> pretty much the same as "set scroll off".
>>

>> I don't mind when a tool has its own idiosyncratic default for unset
>> $PAGER, but I do mind when it ignores $PAGER in favour of its own
>> idiosyncratic pager selection mechanism.
>>

> Ok -- but I'm still curious as to what other pager would be
> preferable to less, more, or none?
>
> Dave

I worked up a test version of crash that defaults to the use
of the PAGER variable (instead of less -E -X with a prompt).

I would presume that setting PAGER=/usr/bin/less might be
a typical practice.  But when doing so, less (with no arguments)
always requires user interaction to continue, even if the output
is less than a page size in length, and what's worse, it then
clears the output screen.  That type of behaviour is unacceptable,
and is exactly the type of issue that I was worrying about.

That being said, I will go along with the use of the PAGER
variable, but not by default.  It's going to have to be
a .crashrc or command-line setting.  I don't think that's
unreasonable -- certainly nobody's ever complained about it
in the past.

Idiosyncratically,