[Crash-utility] crash-4.0-4.3 and linux-2.6.22.1-20.fc7

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 13:12:33 UTC 2007

Steve Dickson wrote:
> Using the latest F7 kernel and crash I'm getting the following
> error:
>
> WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string
> crash: /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.22.1-20.fc7/vmlinux and /dev/crash
> do not match!
>
> I've tried both crash and crash -f with no luck.
>
> I've search the mailing list and was unable to find any
> thing talked about this problem... So I'm thinking this
> may not be a known problem... If it is, please let me know
> otherwise does anybody have idea what the problem could be?
>
> tia,
>
> steved.

Steve,

In these kinds of cases, a "crash -d7" will often help
pinpointing the failure cause, i.e., such as displaying
the linux_banner string from both the vmlinux and from memory,
showing the mis-match, or in this case, the virtual address
that's being used for the linux_banner which is causing the
read-from-/dev/crash failure.

Anyway, any chance you give me access to the machine?