[Crash-utility] documentation of crash flags [was: crash-4.0-4.3 and linux-2.6.22.1-20.fc7]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 16 18:50:07 UTC 2007

| From: Steve Dickson <SteveD at redhat.com>

| I've tried both crash and crash -f with no luck.

How did you find out about -f flag?  I don't see it in crash(8) nor in
the output of crash --help.

Flags known to crash, extracted from main.c:

    --memory_module
    --memory_device
    --no_kallsyms
    --no_modules
    --no_namelist_gzip
    --help
    --data_debug
    --no_data_debug
    --no_crashrc
    --no_kmem_cache
    --kmem_cache_delay
    --readnow
    --smp
    --machdep
    --version
    --buildinfo
    --shadow_page_tables
    --cpus
    --no_ikconfig
    --hyper
    --p2m_mfn
    --zero_excluded
    --no_panic

    -f
    -g
    -H
    -h
    -e
    -t
    -i
    -v
    -s
    -L
    -S
    -c
    -d
    -p
    -m

Flags listed in crash(8) and output of crash --help:
    -h
    -v
    -s
    -i
    -d
    -S

It would be good if more of the flags were documented.

Also: getopt makes it easy to add a long option name as a synonym for
a one-character option.  I think that you can use this feature to help
make options clearer.  For example, --force could be added as a
synonym for -f at the cost of one more line initializing long_options.