[Crash-utility] crash version 4.0-4.4 is available

Bernhard Walle bwalle at suse.de
Sat Jul 21 21:10:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

* Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat.com> [2007-07-20 21:42]:

> - Implemented support for the use of "kerntypes" debuginfo files that
>   are created by the LKCD "dwarfextract" utility, as an alternative to
>   the use of the vmlinux file.  This requires the use of the matching
>   System.map file, as in this example:
>
>     # crash kerntypes System.map [vmcore]
>
>   This capability was written by Cliff Wickman of SGI, and he has
>   generously offered to maintain its functionality.  (cpw at sgi.com)

Hm ..., I like the feature, but it doesn't work here (x86_64,
2.6.22.1). I just compiled the kernel with debugging information (-g),
then

    dwarfextract -p -s vmlinux Kerntypes

and now

    crash -s /boot/System.map-2.6.22.1-default Kerntypes
    WARNING: cannot determine pgdat list for this kernel/architecture

    crash> p jiffies
    p: gdb request failed: p jiffies

Am I doing sth. wrong here? With

    crash -s /boot/System.map-2.6.22.1-default vmlinux

everything works flawlessly.

Thanks,
   Bernhard

PS: I compiled dwarfextract with the patches from lkcdutils
(https://lkcd.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lkcd/trunk/lkcdutils/PATCHES/)
applied to libdwarf from http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html
(latest version).